The primary mission of STLO is to make the performance of opera, oratorios and cantatas accessible to South Texas communities. It will bring together the musical community of the entire Rio Grande Valley by actively engaging its support, participation, and sponsorship of this project. STLO will result in a vigorous and joyful mingling of professionals and lay persons joined together for a common goal: to perform professional quality lyrical repertoire regularly in our community. We aspire to create a touring company to present the best of our operatic productions to theaters throughout the Valley, Mexico as well as to establish an annual opera festival.
* To achieve this mission, the STLO will continue to:
* Engage the music-minded population of our city to perform full productions as a community-based lyric company
* Promote the understanding and appreciation of opera through educational outreach programs to students, arts educator and the general public.
* Assist emerging artists in establishing careers;
* Provide the opportunity for trained local artists to collaborate on productions in a professional setting and performance opportunities;
* Focus on the standard repertoire;
* Present productions meeting the highest artistic standards;
* Offer opera, oratorio and cantata productions to the region and
* Establish an annual Opera Festival at South Padre Island
McAllen and the Rio Grande Valley have the privilege to house an opera company producing one of the most elaborate and beautiful genres of music, that is opera. South Texas Lyric Opera, Inc. was founded in 2005 as ProCantus Lyric Opera in order to bring the fine art of opera to the Rio Grande Valley. The company has produced such memorable operas as Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana, Pucinni’s La Bohéme, and Tosca, to Verdi’s La Traviata and Rigoletto. Since 2005, our beloved Christmas opera, Amahl and the Night Visitors, has educated and entertained more than 7,000 students from across the Rio Grande Valley. STLO is this non-profit organization under the leadership of Maestro Mazias de Oliveira and a respected Board.
The Board of Directors is composed of highly qualified, established professionals of the Rio Grande Valley. They are active participants of the Opera Company both as administrators and chorus members.